Port Reitz MTC (formerly School of Clinical Medicine) is one of the satellite colleges of Kenya Medical Training college. Since 1986, Port Reitz MTC has made its mark in the training of Clinical Officers.
The first group of students came from Nairobi MTC. The college has greatly expanded in terms of structure and students staff population and more training has been introduced in the last 3 years. In September 2005, the course in Medical Laboratory Sciences was initiated. In March 2006, an important milestone happened with opening the first Post Basic course in Anaesthesia. This program is partly sponsored by WHO.
In September 2007, the college opened its doors for yet another course – diploma in Physiotherapy. The two courses are the only ones of their kind in the Coast Region. The college has a small dedicated work force that is specialized in various medical fields.
Port Reitz MTC is located west of the former Mombasa District (now Kilindini), Coast Province. It is 13 km form Mombasa Town along the Old air Port Road. It neighbours Moi International Airport to the north and Port Reitz District Hospital to the south west. On the south is Port Reitz School of the Physically Handicapped and Likoni Creek. The college is on a 5 acres of land with green vegetation
The college has 2 main training hospitals: the Port Reitz District Hospital which neighbours the college, and the Coast Provincial General Hospital (13 km from the college). Students are ferried to clinical areas on a daily basis via the college bus.
The following courses are offered and are very marketable:-
• 3 year Diploma in Clinical Medicine and Surgery
• 3 year Diploma in Medical Laboratory Sciences
• 3 year Diploma in Physiotherapy
• 1 ½ year Post Basic training in Clinical Medicine & Surgery – Anaesthesia
• Computer Training
The college has very nice permanent buildings – one administration block, 3 lecture rooms, a laboratory, a library, computer lab, 3 common rooms for students' indoor dames and meetings.
The college has 4 hostel blocks, which are capable of accommodating 388 students. It has a kitchen with piped gas and equipped with energy saving jikos. The dinning hall has a sitting capacity of 96 students at a go.
The college has 21 staff houses, 1 category C, 4 category D, 11 category E and 5 servants' quaters.
The current college has a population of 480 students and 50 staff comprising of 20 teaching staff and 30 non-teaching staff.
• The campus is one of the few colleges that is constructing a good skillslab and computer laboratory of its kind in the Coast Region.
• The college is the only one in the region training in Physiotherapy.
• The college is quite exemplary in academic and performs very well.
• The college has two training hospitals at its disposal ie. Port Reitz District Hospital and the Coast General Hospital.
• The only other college with near adequate staff houses (21 in total) next to the College in a serene environment.