The college was started in 1948 as a School of Nursing where it was training Kenya Enrolled Nurses. Later the institution started Enrolled Community Health Nursing programme and later on the first class of KRCHN (Diploma) was started in March 1995. In 1977, the Department of Environmental Health Sciences was started where it was training Certificate course in Public Health Technicians but was later upgraded to Diploma Level.
Certificate course in Medical Laboratory Sciences was started in 1981 until later when it started training Diploma programme.
In September 2005, the Department of Clinical Medicine was started and is due to quality its first class later this year (2008).
It is situated in Hospital Road next to the Central Provincial General Hospital, Nyeri.
The institution has four Departments which offer the following courses:-
- Medical Laboratory Technologists
- Public Health Technologists
- Registered Clinical Officers
- Enrolled Nurse/Midwives upgrading course into KRCH Basic
- Distance Learning Programme for enrolled Community Health nurses into KRCHN Basic
- Registered Community Health Nursing
Games available at the institution are:-
- Volleyball (men and women)
- Football (men and women)
- Table Tennis (men)
- Handball (men)
The college has a well structured student's council which provides the necessary link between administration, staff and students.
Total number of staff is sixty-two (62):
- Twenty-eight lecturers (28)
- Thirty-two supportive staff (32).
Currently we have a total population of seven hundred and twelve (712) students
in the college.